Call for Applications: Treasurer, OpenMedia Board of Directors
OpenMedia is seeking a new board member to join us as our Treasurer. Help keep the Internet open, affordable, and surveillance-free!
OpenMedia is an effective, dynamic organization leading the charge to protect the possibilities of the open Internet. We believe in the power of the Internet to make the world better. To do that, Internet access must be affordable and fast, personal privacy must be respected online, and free expression must be the default mode of the web.
We work in Canada and the US on campaigns to:
- Create equal access to the Internet throughout Canada
- Fix Canada's broken cell phone market
- Defend Net Neutrality
- Stand up to government mass surveillance
- Protect privacy on your digital devices at the border
- Stop attacks on encryption in the Five Eyes countries
- Fight censorship machines
About OpenMedia’s Board of Directors
OpenMedia’s board is a governance board responsible for helping the organization reach its primary goals of citizen engagement and empowerment. The board is focused on providing strategic direction and oversight of the organization, working closely with the Executive Director and Operations Director, and a highly collaborative, motivated and dynamic staff team.
The Board’s main responsibilities are to:
- Provide high-level operational oversight and direction
- Ensure legal compliance and fiscal accountability
- Provide strategic input and insight
- Lead ongoing Board renewal and effective governance in consultation with senior staff
- Participate in effective planning
- Evaluate high-level outcomes and impacts
- Manage the performance and compensation of the Executive Director
OpenMedia has Director’s & Officer’s (D&O) Insurance coverage, provided at no cost to Directors. Reach out if you’d like to review the policy.
Role of the Treasurer
- Provide support and guidance to the OpenMedia leadership team regarding financial and accounting records, transactions, best practices, and policies
- Serve as chair of the finance committee and financial officer of the organization
- Assist the ED and the Director of Operations in preparing the annual budget and presenting it to the board for approval
- Review the annual audit and help answer board members’ questions
- Review monthly financials to ensure financial hygiene
Who are we looking for?
We encourage applications from candidates with a passion for OpenMedia’s mission, a finance or accounting background, and a collaborative mindset.
- Interest and commitment to OpenMedia’s mission and values
- Knowledge and experience of (non-profit) accounting, finance, and audit fundamentals
- Some combination of:
- Post-secondary education in accounting, commerce, or finance
- Experience preparing and/or analyzing financial statements and budgets
- Experience with financial oversight and governance
- Ability to present quantitative information to non-technical audiences (e.g. briefing leaders on data or financials, providing leaders with meaningful summaries of complex information)
- Availability to fulfill the commitments listed in the next section
- Member of an underrepresented, equity-deserving community (e.g. BIPOC, LBGTQ+, Woman or Non-binary, low income)
- Lived experience(s) with OpenMedia’s core issues of access to the Internet, free expression, and/or privacy
- Past experience serving on a board of directors (ideally as Treasurer)
- Past experience working in the non-profit sector
Each board member is expected to care passionately about the mission and success of
OpenMedia, to participate actively in the governance and promotion of the organization.
Service on OpenMedia’s Board of Directors is typically without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to Board Members’ duties. However, if receiving an honorarium would remove barriers to your participation on OpenMedia’s Board, financial support may be available.
- Prepare for and actively participate in Board meetings (typically 2 hours in March, June, September, and December on Thursdays from 2-4pm EST)
- Prepare for and actively participate in finance and budget meetings as needed (typically 1-2 hour commitment per month)
- Prepare for and actively participate in OpenMedia’s Annual General Meeting (AGM) in (typically 1 hour in September, preceding the quarterly board meeting)
- Board members serve a two-year term and can be re-elected for additional terms.
How do I apply?
Will you join us? Apply by filling out the Board Member Application Form.
Deadline to submit: August 31, 2022
If there are any accommodations that we can provide to make our recruitment process more accessible for you, or if you have any ideas for improving our process, please reach out to us at [email protected] directly. We'd be happy to do our best to set you up for success.
We recognize the importance of a diverse leadership team and encourage applications from Indigenous people, women, LGBTQIA+ people, people of colour, and people with disabilities. Not certain your credentials are a 100% match with the position description? Please apply anyway! We’re looking to find the right person for our board, with relevant skills and experience – not a mandatory checklist.